About Me

My photo
A learner all my life. I haven't been everywhere,but it is on my list.

Saturday 20 October 2012

Let's Rap!!!!

Our school is part of the school exchange programme through which some of our students visited Netherlands and Denmark with a couple of their teachers.As a follow up of this,there are some teachers visiting our school this Monday.They are coming from Netherlands and as expected there is a huge bruhaha about it.There is hectic activity taking place in the school to make the necessary arrangements to showcase our school and its ideology before the esteemed guests.

Std 4 has been given about 5 minutes to present our item and I was given the task to do something to highlight our schools car pool project which was conducted this year by STD 4.Keeping this in mind I wrote a rap song ( for the very first time) and put it to tune.As we have 12 divisions of STD 4 we selected 2 students from each class and I began training them.

It was really a great experience, as though I have written and directed many plays and choreographed many dances for school functions this was something different.The children who were very shy initially to dance the 'oh-so-cool' steps for the rap song slowly found their groove.They enjoyed themselves and danced away and sang the rap song .Within half an hour they could learn the song and the dance moves.Young kids are fast learners!It was far more difficult to teach my co-teachers a dance which we were to present for a Children's day function.It took nearly 5 days to make them get the steps right. But then,kids are kids after all..........the best learners!

When I was given the task at the spur of the moment (on Friday) I was a little apprehensive as to whether the kids could master the steps and learn the song at such short notice but I was proved wrong .The kids made a few placards on car pooling for this activity too.I would like to share the rap song with you so that anyone can feel free to use it for their school project or activity to encourage car pooling.Of course, they can make the necessary changes to the song as per their needs.

The lesson I learnt is that it is not difficult to teach if the learners are willing to learn.Children learn best when it is something they really enjoy.As teachers we need to take their likes and interests into consideration if teaching needs to be more meaningful and successful.

As for me,I had a blast dancing the cool rap song moves as dancing is the best form of relaxation.Even today when I tell my hsband about how I taught dance moves to my kids, he asks me how I don't feel uncomfortable or shy to dance before my kids.My reply is that I am totally at ease with my kids.I enjoy teaching them action songs,dance steps and role play.It is wonderful to see their eyes sparkle with intense interest and excitement to see their teacher in action.It helps if you are a teacher who can go down to the level of your kids as this makes teaching-learning more fun for the teacher and student.

So on Monday I will have a few more practice sessions and then hopefully these little ones will make our school proud with their performance. Fingers crossed.........!

Here's the rap song.............

Boom-boom-chak!Boom-boom-chak!
The Sulonia car pool team is back!
Boom-boom-chak,boom-boom-chak!
let's now hear our carpool rap!

Don't get stuck in traffic anymore,
Riding alone is Oh,such a bore!
When you ride together,
You save on precious fuel,
To save our environment,You have to carpool!

Boom-boom-chak,boom-boom-chak!
The Sulonia carpool team is back!
Let's now hear our carpool rap!

So all you people-Do what is right,
Start carpooling for a future bright,
Reduce greenhouse gases,
Boom-boom-chak!
Reduce driving stress,
Boom-boom-chak!
Reduce fuel consumption,
Boom-boom-chak!
Make traffic jams less.
Boom-boom-chak!

Boom-boom-chak,boom-boom-chak!
The Sulonia carpool team is back!
Let's now hear our carpool rap!
















No comments:

Post a Comment