About Me

My photo
A learner all my life. I haven't been everywhere,but it is on my list.

Friday 19 October 2012

Just Like Mom.........


As a teacher in the Elementary section each year in the month of June I welcome my new batch of kids and they are mine for a whole academic year. I do my best to make the best of the time I share with them and at the end of the year I have a sense of immense satisfaction when I see the results, not in the academic front alone but also in the attitudinal and behavioural changes that I see in the little ones.

Each year the month of April draws near and I realize that these little ones will move ahead to the next level and then I will have another batch to nurture. I always wonder whether they will remember the teachers who have taught them even when they grow up to become youngsters and adults later on. Will they remember the values I have so vehemently tried to inculcate in them? Will they remember me as fondly as I remember my teachers?

So it was just another day at school today and I was observing the children as they were writing the notes. Kayzin had a complaint to make about another student who was not writing neatly and she blurted out aloud, "Mom, Shlok is not writing neatly." As there was silence in the classroom all the kids heard her and some of them giggled. Shlok thought this was a good chance to poke fun at her and said, "Mom??Is mam your mom?" To which Kayzin nonchalantly replied, "So what? Mam is also just like my mom." This reply made everyone silent once again. I gave Kayzin my best smile(if there is anything like that) and had a spring in my step for the rest of the day.

It made me so happy to hear that! It may seem so trivial to some but as a teacher it made my day............simple words but with great meaning. Who says teaching is a thankless job? We,as teachers,have the love and affection of our students.We touch their lives just as they touch and reach out to ours.Am proud I chose to a teacher.
Just like my mom..........Really??
Thanks Kayzin!






No comments:

Post a Comment