About Me

My photo
A learner all my life. I haven't been everywhere,but it is on my list.

Friday 19 October 2012

Lessons in History


History has always fascinated me. A visit to the local museum has always been a source of delight and an enlightening experience. I am never tired of visiting museums and for this I am ridiculed many a times by my friends. "What is it in these old things that you want to see?" ask my friends. I tell them that there is a whole new unexplored world in the old relics.........a world that fascinates me no end.

Keeping my love for History in mind I chose History Entire for my subject for my M.A.It made me realize that learning about history in the university notes is a whole new ball game.I was better off visiting museums as the notes made me come close to losing my mind with all the dates and battles that made my mind swirl. With much difficulty I passed that period and got the much-coveted certificate. Never again, I thought to myself.

I decided then to explore History through the visit to forts and that I did. I have visited many forts till date like the Bassein fort at Vasai, Panhalgad, Murud-Janjira fort, Pratapgad, Panhalgad and the most recently visited Raigad fort.Each and every visit made me gaze in awe at the wonder of forts. Each fort had a history of it's own and it was thrilling to learn about each one. It brought before my eyes the battles fought and the valour of the brave kings and their soldiers .

My love for forts also took me to visit many photo exhibitions on forts. Be it forts or museums, they have a way of linking us to our past glory. As we move ahead into the future, in my opinion ,it would be great to know something about our past. As a teacher I have always believed that a knowledge about our past takes us towards a better future as we can learn from our past mistakes and take inspiration from the heroes of the past. The freedom struggle  for example can teach inspire a young child to have someone like Lokmanya Tilak or Swami Vivekananda as an inspiration rather than have Sharukh Khan or Katrina Kaif as their role model.

The ancient coins, tools, weapons, arts, relics and ruins have something to tell us. Are you planning to listen?




No comments:

Post a Comment